Thursday, April 11, 2019

Eagle Bluffs From West Vancouver


Turns out that just a few minutes down the road from where we are staying there is a small provincial park and a large - very large - chunk of crown land. Crown land that starts at around 100 metres, and spreads back eastward over the Coast Mountains into the wilderness that is Canada. And there are trails, hundreds of kilometres of trails, as well as creeks and canyons, rivers and waterfalls, huge trees and soft loamy rainforest soil.

Cypress Creek

My first day in West Vancouver, I stumbled on the trails and wandered up the creek for an hour or two. After that, I was in the forest and on the trails most days. Of course, I soon became obsessed with seeing if I could walk up to the snowline and the mountains behind the coast.

My forest friend

My first foray, I weaved westward along a series of different tracks until I finally got to Whyte Lake and intersected the Baden Powell trail which climbs steeply from Horseshoe Bay on Queen Charlotte Channel to Black Mountain at 1224 metres before continuing on to the Deep Cove back at sea level.

Whyte Lake

I followed the Baden Powell trail, through deep green rainforest to a long talus slope at 820 metres ASL where there was a glorious view Bowen Island and Howe Sound. I was running out of time, however, so turned back before reaching the main viewpoint about 300 metres higher at Eagle Bluffs.

Baden Powell Trail to Black Mountain

Next time, I was better prepared. I had crampons, in case the snow was icy, and left West Vancouver shortly after 7.30 am. Again, the weaving route across to Whyte Lake and up to join the Baden Powell, and this time, after 3.5 hours of steady walking, I came out on the slabs at Eagle Bluff. The spring sun was glorious and there was a fantastic view over the ocean, although I was more intrigued by the steeper peaks visible to the northeast.

View from Eagle Bluffs

Eagle Bluffs was snow free, but a few steps back into the trees and it was winter with a deep solid snowpack. I walked as far east as a couple of small tarns on the Black Mountain plateau before heading back to Eagle Bluffs for lunch.

Steep Descent

It is a steep descent, almost 500 metres before the terrain lays back a little, and my legs were almost a bit shaky by the time I got to the dock at Whyte Lake where I had the rest of my lunch in the spring sunshine before the last 1.5 hour walk back to West Vancouver. You just can't beat adventures from the front door.


 
Bowen Island

No comments:

Post a Comment