Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Trails And Trials

I found a new trail two days ago. The track wound up a ridge through open timber burnt in the 2020 bushfires, and then contoured around a minor peak. Into and out of little creeks which were cascading with water after recent heavy rains. Through gum trees and burrawangs, and past outcrops of granite boulders. The forest was quiet apart from kangaroos thumping off as I approached and lyrical birdsong.


I am a late comer to trail running but a long time mountain wanderer, alpine climber, hiker, backcountry skier. I started trail running when I realised that my endurance, formerly easily maintained by my penchant for inordinate amounts of time spent climbing mountains, was beginning to decline. Like most beginning runners, I had no idea about how to train properly and simply started a "marathon training plan."


That was a painful and ultimately unsuccessful path to trail running and it was not until I bought and read (multiple times) the UphillAthlete training books that I was able to lay out a progressive and successful training plan.


But that does not mean that training is easy. The basic principle of increasing endurance is increasing volume; which means juggling more and more kilometres, not only with other training goals but also with recreational activities like climbing and sea kayaking. And, of course, as one gets older, strength and power training become ever more important as those two facets decrease the most with age.


Like most "athletes" I try to maintain my (admittedly self imposed) training plan which, given the constraints on time and energy we all have, sometimes requires making a choice between sticking religiously to my training schedule and taking advantage of opportunities.


So, when I got the following email: "are you interested in an out and back paddle tomorrow from the Bay to get some of the bigger conditions at the moment?" I had to sort out my priorities. Setting aside why anyone wants to go out in a sea kayak in "bigger conditions," I had to decide whether or not to go for my planned long run or take advantage of getting out in "bigger conditions" with a sea kayaker with much better skills than mine.



One of the best ways to improve your skills in any adventure sport is to get out with people better than you so I chose paddling. Doug and I trolleyed our kayaks down to our local beach to meet Nick, who drove up with his Audax and wing paddle, which meant Doug and I would be chasing him more than normal for the next couple of hours.


Despite a 12 knot headwind, we made reasonable time out to the Tollgates where the wind was blowing around 15 knots from the NE. Nick, of course, was paddling to and fro like an overcharged cattle dog herding sheep, while Doug and I plugged along steadily with little hope of keeping up.


From the Tollgate Islands, we plugged north into a 15 knot headwind to Three Isle Point and our turn around location. Time to catch runners back to the Bay, or, more correctly, time for Nick to catch runners and Doug and I to struggle along.


Here's the thing, I am not good at catching runners without a sail. With a sail up, it is easy, without a sail, there is this thing called timing. You have to paddle really hard at exactly the right time to get the kayak on the runner. I spent the first 30 minutes flogging myself trying to catch every runner, and mis-timing almost all of them.


Finally, when I was dripping with sweat and getting fatigued, Nick gave me some tips on timing, and, more importantly, told me that I should not try and catch every runner. After that I probably caught my two best runners without a sail ever. Now, I just have to fit in that second long run with strength training, climbing, and another couple of kayaking trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment