Monday, September 21, 2020

Simplified Training

Yesterday I jogged/walked into Monga National Park from Currowan State Forest to the east. I would like to say "ran" but that would not be true. It was a hilly route, up ridge, down to creek, up ridge, down to creek, repeat. Over the 19.2 km, the elevation gain was 880 metres. Not stunning, but not bad either, particularly as I did not set out with the objective of doing a lot of elevation gain. In this, comparatively flat land, training elevation gain requires more serious planning. When I was training to go to Canada in 2019, I had a couple of locations which enabled me to carry a loaded pack up about 800 metres without having to also travel a long horizontal distance. That is really what you want for training power endurance - a long steep hill.


I was thinking about my friend who, on advice from a yoga/pilates (I can't remember which) instructor was working up to running five kilometres using a run/walk program and, also, working on cadence. There is clearly an issue with this advice, besides it being entirely generic. Most glaringly, there really is no benefit, and certain detriment from working on cadence if the issues preventing you from running five kilometres are: (a) lack of strength, or (b) aerobic deficiency syndrome. Anyone who is over 30 - and truthfully, increasingly, many people under 30 - who has not been strength training with weights and appropriately training aerobic capacity on a regular basis (that is, training within their own Aerobic Threshold), unless they are incredibly athletically gifted, likely has both issues occurring concurrently.


Training, for the older adult, who basically wants to be a functional human (a non-simple concept in todays fucked up world), actually requires a relatively simple training program. Strength train movements, not muscles (see DanJohn or Mark Rippetoe), that is, focus on the foundational human movements - a squat, a push, a pull and a hinge. Perhaps throw in a loaded carry.

Train your aerobic system by the tired, but tried and true, long, slow distance formula, preferably on your feet (bicycling does not build bone density and is essentially seated exercise). People who have never trained aerobically or not for a very long time need to correct their aerobic deficiency syndrome before adding any intensity, and certainly before working on cadence. Polarised training can come later, but is not really necessary if your goal is not to race, simply to function well in everyday life. Finally, mobilise. Yoga is a great movement practice, but targeting your own issues (see Smashwerx, Ian Markow  or KellyStarrett) is actually a better use of time.


But back to Monga National Park, it took me almost four hours to cover 19.2 km, because, I am training within my aerobic threshold1 which means I have to walk many hills. It also means, however, that I got home by 11 am, and spent the rest of the day doing active chores around the house, and, next day, I feel great and ready to train again.

1I use my VT1 (nose breathing pace) instead of a heart rate zone for convenience. For my purposes, this works just as well as carefully testing and establishing my exact HR zones and simplifies training. Simple is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment