Monday, October 5, 2020

Full Moon On The Moruya River

A few days ago I deleted my Instagram account. Like, I suspect, most people I have had a love hate relationship with the Gramme since I deleted my Facebook account and switched to the Gramme. I tried suspending my account but, the enticing little icon was still on my mobile phone and all too easy to click on when I was supposed to be doing something else, so, finally, I just deleted my account.

What's interesting about deleting your account is that you get this little dialogue message that asks if you are really sure you want to do this, like "really, really, really, this is irrevocable shit you are doing here, are you really sure?" kind of dialogue. Strangely, when I signed up to this stupid app I didn't get any kind of dialogue informing me that my attention span would shorten incrementally and I would be in danger of falling into that endless comparison trap that snares almost all humans.



At the same time I gave up my subscription to the Sydney Morning Herald. I don't believe in burying your head in the sand and ignoring politics or world events. That is, quite simply, how we have ended up in the situation we are currently in with a government that is as corrupt as any in the world. But, the news coverage in the SMH was way too parochial and I felt like I did not know what was going on outside of Australia. Until I settle on another news source, I am reading the ABC - a shadow of its former self since being gutted by the LNP - and, for international news, Al Jazeera.


Finally, I have illustrated this post with a couple of sunset pictures from a full moon paddle up the Moruya River last week. Turns out, we only saw the full moon for a few short periods as it was cloudy, but the evening light over the hills was gorgeous and it was incredibly peaceful paddling up the river at night. Only the sound of frogs, cicadas and night birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment