Sunday, November 8, 2020

The Swim Of Shame

It was supposed to be a big northerly blow and, after all the thrashings we have had paddling with Splashalot, who says we go too slow, we opted for a downwind run instead of another thrash into the wind followed by a downwind run. Because the thrash component was taken out of the adventure, Mike agreed to come, so we were four.




It was an uneventful but very pleasant paddle south from our home bay to Guerilla Bay where we stopped for lunch. I think the little beach that is tucked into a sheltered corner behind a rocky anvil shaped reef must have hit social media lately as you see more and more cars come down to the parking area, pause, then turn around and go right back out again. Check mark, Guerilla Bay done.




Up to this point, the forecast northerly wind had been a bit of a bust and Mike had not even bothered to hoist his sail. We had an interesting paddle out of Guerilla Bay as the swell had picked up and the reefs and bommies were breaking. Around Burrewarra Point, the wind finally puffed itself up and the race was on.




Mike put his sail up, while Doug, Nick and I began the sprint to catch runners. Nick, of course, was the undisputed winner, beating Mike who had his big sail up. I have no hard data, but I think I was faster than previous times and I caught lots of runners. I was fatiguing from the sprint towards the end, however.



At Mossy Point, Mike sensibly paddled in while the rest of us started surfing. I told myself I would catch three waves and then quit. First wave, check, lovely long ride, peel off before I hit the beach, all good. Wave two, I careered down too steep, and, as always happens on steep waves, immediately broached. No worries, lean into the wave and side surf in until it releases me and I can paddle back out for my third and final wave. Except, my stern got swung around and before I had time to react, I had dropped off the back of the wave and I was leaning the Pace way over on its side into green water, and thus had no support and over I went.




As usual, I thought about trying to roll and then immediately panicked as my reptilian brain screamed "you're going to die," except this time, I had my paddle leash wrapped around my body and I actually thought "I'm going to die." I ripped off my deck and swam to the surface but I was wrapped tight to the boat in a big set of waves with the leash around my body a couple of times.




Luckily, my paddle leash has a big red ball for an attachment and all I had to do to release the leash from the paddle was pull the red ball. The paddle got picked up by a wave and took off, but I was still wrapped to the boat by leash so that took a bit more sorting out before I could feel comfortable that I was not going to have my head beaten in by the kayak.

Finally, free of boat and paddle, I could begin the swim of shame, which was moderately long as the tide was going out.

No comments:

Post a Comment