Wednesday, April 27, 2022

The Problem With Randoms

If the answers to this guy’s question do not convince you NOT to ask randoms on the internet for sensible answers to perplexing questions I do not know what will. The OP, who is not a novice, nor inactive, reported:

On arrival at camp, I could not get onto the ground to clear a tent site of stones. Then I had to crawl around in pain through all tendons and muscles of all parts of my legs. Then I could not get back up. Sitting up in my sleeping bag to pee into a bottle gave me terrible cramps in long muscles of my upper legs, akin to a cold sledgehammer. On getting up, I cramped getting out of my sleeping bag - and I could not stand when emerging from the tent. On walking out, I was occasionally pain free …

Last I checked there were in the order of 15 replies, at least 13 of them, forgive my bluntness, are ignorant. One health care provider, suggested the OP do “some squats” to help with hill climbing.



We have all seen the leg day meme, and anyone who has done any serious training or torn up their quads through eccentric loading on steep downhills can sympathise, but electrolyte imbalances, glycogen depletion, hydration, “dietary preparation” – whatever the f**k that is - are all beside the point. Unless the OP pushed himself to the point of rhabdomyolysis, no-one, no matter how fatigued from a (not) particularly long or arduous bushwalk is reduced to crawling unless there is some kind of nerve entrapment. If I were the OP, I would be thinking about a disc issue.

Standard caveats apply, not medical advice, your mileage may vary.




What I’ve been reading:

The Real Dr Fauci, you will never look at that innocuous looking old man the same way again. Fascinating book and I would say recommended reading for people who take advice from randoms.

Inventing The AIDS Virus by the brilliant Peter Duesberg. No excuse not to read this one as you can download it for free. If nothing else, Duesberg should convince the reader that in human biology/physiology the science is never settled.



And, I’ve been out and about, bouldering, climbing, and rambling along our beautiful coastline. The pictures are from the last few days. I’m actually pretty stoked that I sent two hard (for me) boulders today.




No comments:

Post a Comment