Monday, May 16, 2022

#Endless Rain

Well, another rainy week in southeast Australia (probably most of eastern Australia). I had to look back at my log to see what I have been doing as the rainy days just seem to blend into one drizzly mishmash. The ground is so soaked that we don’t even think about going out rock climbing the day after rain, too much seepage on the crags, so now we need two dry days in a row to climb. Not a problem I ever thought I would have in Australia.





I did get out bouldering in the forest on Monday. I had found and brushed off some new boulders a couple of months ago but had not got back to climb because #endless rain. As usual, I was by myself, which I kind of like being a bit of hermit and a lot of a loner. Solo bouldering definitely gives you some extra impetus to pull the top moves with only one bouldering pad and no spotter.




According to my log we had one day where there was enough of a dry period that I managed to climb on our outside wall and work on some endurance. I seem to recall feeling painfully pumped by the end. Speaking of pumped, the Wide Boyz have a new video out of an ascent of No Way Jose in southern Utah which is worth a watch, and somewhat comforting to me to observe two hard climbers also getting pumped.




We did have a dry day for climbing, but, not expecting to get out the next day, I had somewhat thrashed myself training in the gym and on the wall the day before and did not feel exactly on top of my game. Still, I did manage to pull off one hard (for me) route and any day climbing is a good day. And, some trail running, because it does not really matter if it is raining, some low tide walks on the rock platforms around home because I am old and need to keep working my balance on rough ground, boulders, and little scrambles.

No comments:

Post a Comment