Wednesday, October 5, 2022

A Problem To Be Solved

2022 has not been a great rock climbing year for me. A combination of factors: the rain (it’s raining again today), my age, two long multi-week sea kayak trips which necessitated a lot of kayak training in addition to the trips themselves, and then, the rain. Oh, and did I mention the rain?

In 2022, I never got back to the climbing peak I had at the end of 2021, and, unless the weather pattern changes significantly in the next little while, I can’t see that changing in the last couple of months of 2022.




At least as you get older, but for younger folks too, climbing is not a sport you can pick up, drop, and then return to your previous level without a bit of work; or even a lot of work for senior climbers. In addition to being a highly skill based sport, there is a requirement for strength, power, flexibility and mobility (flexibility and mobility are not the same).

We got out climbing yesterday for the first time in about nine weeks (not strictly true we went bouldering the day before that) and, of course, I expected to suck. Nine weeks of mostly catabolic endurance work is hardly offset by a couple of strength training sessions per week.




I guess when you aim low, you get to be pleasantly surprised, but I did not suck.

No comments:

Post a Comment