Tuesday, July 18, 2023

Did I Get Better Today?

Years after hearing Dan John say “The goal is to keep the goal, the goal,” I think I have finally understood what this pithy and much misunderstood expression means. Beyond not getting side tracked by diversions along the path, keeping the goal the goal means that your actions, all your actions are congruent with your stated goals. A statement that seems so simple but in reality encompasses everything we do, and imagine, and think about in life.




It appears that the easiest way to misplace the goal is to default to instinctive behaviours – particularly those we use to ameliorate stress – which are frequently orthogonal to keeping the goal, the goal. I am as guilty of this as anyone. I think some sort of meditative practice, whether it be strict meditation as classically described or a moving meditation such as long runs or walks in nature, is a helpful adjunct to keeping the goal the goal as such practices give our minds space to confront our reflexive nature and, at a minimum, consider if our predominant behavior is actually congruent with our stated goals.




An easy first step to keeping the goal the goal that I have implemented is simply asking “does this choice align with my ultimate goal?” Dan John, of course, has a more impactful way of communicating this “Did I get better today?”




In more prosaic news, I am experimenting with increasing the effort on my regular zone 2 training runs/walks. Peter Attia uses an RPE (rate of perceived exertion) slightly higher than I generally use for my zone two training. I typically use the top end of my ability to nose breathe, while Attia uses conversational pace where conversation is possible but verging on difficult. Coincidentally, the latter RPE for me is right around a heart rate (HR) of 120 which is also my MAF (Maximum Aerobic Function) HR. I lapped around the Dam Loop today at an average HR of 120 and felt like I could keep going forever (except for sore feet as the dry weather is making the trails extra rocky) which is pretty much how zone two training should feel.



Sunrise pictures from yesterdays aerobic conditioning session.

No comments:

Post a Comment