Sunday, January 7, 2024

Where The Current Runs

“Forecast looks interesting for Sunday. Any interest in a paddle?” And with that, Quick Nick was out from under the roof, predictably on a day with the northeasterly wind forecast to hit 30 knots. Foreshadowing a difficult day ahead, it was exactly what I needed to fully relax into my deload week and instead of squeezing in one more strength session for the week, I strolled around the rock platforms near home, did some stretching and finally let myself enjoy a day without serious training.





Ironically, conditions on Sunday were the easiest Doug and I have had on a training paddle for a long time. The swell had fallen right off to a mere one metre easterly, and it was mostly calm with little sea or wind all the way to Wasp Island. I called a halt at Mill Beach after two hours so I could eat breakfast. From Wasp Island, we paddled into a light northeasterly until we were a couple of kilometres off-shore. Still, there was very little wind, but, it turns out we were far enough off-shore to benefit from the East Australian Current (EAC) running south.





We started south with a good line should the wind arise as forecast, and made quick time to North Head. I had covered my watch with my shirt sleeve so I did not have to see the kilometres click by demoralisingly slowly but, it turns out, we paddled the 10 kilometres from a couple of kilometres beyond Wasp Island to North Head in an hour. At Yellow Rocks, we finally got the forecast wind and the run back to the beach was one of my best ever – recovery works - but only if preceded by training!  Five kilometres in half an hour and catching lots of runners. I had pulled my sleeve back so I could see my speed as I paddled to provide extra motivation to paddle hard. I wasn’t even shattered when we hit the beach!

No comments:

Post a Comment