Thursday, May 16, 2024

The Joy of Punting

Endurance is a feeling associated with our reaction to an effort and it only begins when we feel the sensation to stop. ….. Training durations of less than 90-minutes can positively influence >90-minute endurance capabilities, but the common misconception that increasing intensity for shorter efforts produces the same effects as do longer, less vigorous sessions is wrong: time cannot be replaced by intensity. Michael Blevins, nonprophet.


PC: DB

In the sea kayaking world, there’s lots of paddlers who think they can train for long distance, long duration events with short intense intervals. It doesn’t work, and may even impair performance; particularly in older folks where recovery takes longer. Paddlers, climbers, runners, average couch potatoes, we’re all the same, trying to short cut our way to world class results.





We had a climbing day yesterday. I went out optimistically “I’ll crush it today and try all my projects.” Well, I was 50% right, you guess which 50. I tried all my projects – three burns on each, (anymore and I just fall apart) - didn’t get a single one, and, I can’t say I crushed much else, but I did punt, 100%, and I tried hard. Lots of days your performance sucks but if your “try hard” ratio is high, you’ve still won.

No comments:

Post a Comment