Thursday, May 6, 2021

Winter Goals

Winter is my favourite season. I like the dark early mornings and evenings, the cooler snap in the air at first light, getting to wear a jumper (but still shorts), perhaps even a beanie sometimes. This winter, I have decided to draw a line under the seasons. When I lived in Canada, winter and spring were for skiing. Our little mountain town got 15 metres of snow over the winter. The standard Canadian joke is that summer fell on a Tuesday. Summer and fall (which is what North Americans call autumn) we climbed: mountains and rocks, climbing all the time. Summer was short and every good day was too precious to waste.


Mid winter at our old house in BC, Canada

Australia has winter, but not really a winter like Canada. You can still pretty much do all your usual sports in winter as you do in summer - rock climb, bushwalk, canyon (although that would be a bit chilly), sea kayak, mountain bike. That has been my strategy for the eight years I have been back in Australia. This year, however, I want to put a line, however subjective, under the seasons. Autumn and winter will be for climbing and bushwalking, spring and summer for kayaking and canyoning.



For sure it is arbitrary, but, in the modern world, where survival is easy, most of our goals are arbitrary.

No comments:

Post a Comment