Monday, August 23, 2021

Running Home

A week into our lockdown and any half baked plan to write a blog post a day during lockdown went out the window a few days in. What I really want to do while we are in lockdown is make the time count by doing productive things and getting out into nature everyday. We have a home renovation project under way but in our typical fashion if the choice is go rock climbing or fuss with home renovation, we go rock climbing. There is that old saying about no one lying on their death bed wishes they spent more time at the office and I interpret that to mean no-one finds themselves living out their final days in a care facility thinking about how epic it was to have a new kitchen.



Today I did one of those quirky weird things that people do too little of which is ride public transit somewhere and then self-propel yourself home. Now I am lucky that I can run back home almost entirely on bush tracks, mostly single track, but even in the metropolis of Sydney, this is an option for many people, it's just that people don't think to do it. Something about growing up and/or growing wealthy and taking public transit becomes stigmatised, something only poor people who can't afford cars do. Me, I love public transit. Over the years, Doug and I have used public transit for so many fun adventures, from week long kayak trips to simple days out.



So I walked a block or two from home, jumped on the bus, got off half an hour later and over a couple of hours ran home on bush tracks. There were a few people out riding the single track on mountain bikes, and one other walker, but, except for those few encounters, it was just me, the birds, lizards and kangaroos.

No comments:

Post a Comment