Thursday, November 11, 2021

Meatza Pizza

Well, I wrote that a surf capsize was coming right along and so it was. If you are going to capsize in surf, the only way to do it is by pitch-poling the kayak down a wave and flipping pointy end over pointy end. This is much more spectacular for random observers on the beach and you finish keel up, head down and ready to roll.




Today we finally got a day without rain so I dashed out bouldering. Broke a few holds, fell on my butt a few times, and generally got a decent session in before it started raining again. I've almost forgotten what our latest project looks like... maybe next week.




On the subject of weeks, last week when I was in Sydney, one of the youth commented on my vegetarian phase. I think of this period as a dark and low place in my history. It lasted two or three years from when I was maybe 25 or 26 to about 28 years old. Remaining a vegetarian - or even more hellish vegan - requires that you either lose your mind or get used to functioning at a low level of capacity. As I was happy with neither, I quit being a vegetarian, started eating meat and immediately trained harder, recovered better and improved my performance. I kept my brain functioning as well. Anthropologists and evolutionary biologists now think that a diet of meat is what led humans to develop such large and energy expensive brains. Think about that next time you consider giving up animal protein.




It always cracks me up that my sister in law (SIL) tells the story of me talking about being vegetarian while eating a ham sandwich. Now I don't actually remember the event, but I have heard the story so many times that it has become part of my personal lore, and, to give my SIL due credit, the story has a ring of truth. But, what really tickles me about this story is that it happened 30 years ago. Yes, as I said just last week “It was 30 years ago!” Emphasis very much intended.




In a twist of irony that is impossible to invent, I have been on a whole food diet – no sugar, no grains, no industrial seed oils – for at least five times as long as I was vegetarian and no one ever mentions that. I will let the reader ponder why that might possibly be.


No comments:

Post a Comment