Thursday, March 17, 2022

Mid November

 Build Back Better is always my mantra when I return from endurance trips like our recent crossing of eastern Bass Strait. Frustratingly, during the training phase for Bass Strait I was so knackered after long days in the kayak, that I let my strength training – which I have been doing faithfully for about 40 years (except for the six years spent travelling in our caravan) – slide. It’s not that I did not train at all, my training was just too inconsistent to be very effective.




On top of that, I have not been rock climbing since mid November. Mid November, that is just shocking, and no wonder I could not struggle up any routes at one of our climbing areas today. Sure, the situation wasn’t helped by wet rock and moss growing over the routes because we haven’t been climbing since Mid November and it has been so wet and humid for months; but, holy s**t, I have some serious work to do.





My strength program is simple: the well tested 5 x 5 strength program. This leaves plenty of mental (if not physical) bandwidth for training for climbing. It has been years, literally, since I did a standard 5 x 5 program, but for simplicity and utility it is hard to beat this old standard.





What has caught my attention:

  • Nonprophet the best articles are by Mark Twight

  • Malcolm Kendrick labelled by the MSM as a “cholesterol denier” as if such a thing was a thing.

  • I still listen to Endurance Planet, not because the podcast is any good (it is spectacularly bad), but more, because - like driving past a train crash - you just can’t help but stare.

No comments:

Post a Comment