Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Bay Belly

Normally, I would not call a two hour walk at recovery pace a “hard thing” but days 56 through 58 of the Hard Things project were exactly that: regular activities that were surprisingly hard to get through. Initially I thought my fatigue and lethargy was related to Saturdays 31 kilometre lactate buster but it turns out that what I thought was sea sickness was actually a minor gastrointestional complaint that left me nauseous, unable to eat, weak and sluggish.




Today, day 59, is the first day I’ve felt able to function somewhat normally. Day 56 was a two hour recovery walk which I staggered through, day 57 I cycled an hour and walked an hour feeling rough and went to bed at 8:00 pm which is early even for me. Day 58, I did manage to grind through a strength workout and a morning walk but was still not eating.




Which brings me to day 59, the penultimate day of the project. Feeling the best I have since Saturday, I went out to walk hills, hoping to amass a decent amount of elevation gain without having to drive far. The best locations for this esoteric but highly functional activity are off the Araluen Road where you can rack up 800 metres in a relatively short distance. Near where I live, the hills top out at about 150 to 170 metres and the trails are a bit too gradual for best training. By going up and down a bit, I got 470 metres of gain (wish I had known as I would have done the extra 30 to make 500 metres) but it took 12 kilometres to amass that not very impressive elevation gain.


No comments:

Post a Comment