Monday, November 27, 2023

The Lonely Road

Cancer diagnoses seem to be all around us now. Search “turbo cancer” and you’ll find all kinds of references to spikes in rapidly developing cancer following mRNA vaccines. Wikipedia, an increasingly censored information source, calls this sort of speculation “anti-vaccine” rhetoric. I don’t know what is true, I just try to keep an open mind. Of course, having a mind open to anything outside the acceptable discourse is likely to get you branded a “cooker,” but I’m 60 and I gave up worrying what people think of me a half century ago. 




The road one travels with cancer seems long and lonely. I’m not sure any of us, no matter how motivated, caring or empathetic we are can really walk the same road. The treatments, the side effects of treatment, the hope, the uncertainty, these are things we can name but not really truly experience. A sudden cancer diagnosis is the ultimate “everything was good until it wasn’t.


PC: DB.


Doug and I got out in the kayaks this morning for a bit more training before the big wind and rain event hits later today into tomorrow. The swell had definitely picked up and shifted southerly, with the wave buoy recording average wave height at 2 metres and a moderate ENE wind forecast to build throughout the day.




It was gloomy paddling out of our home bay and around to the river entrance. The main bar was a messy break, the waves too fast and confused to really catch anything but after picking our way in we found a good break on the north side of the bay where we’ve had long rides before. The first real wave I caught the kayak turned broad side almost immediately and I side surfed in with water pouring down the neck of my cagoule and I thought “Good to get that over with.” We had a pretty reasonable session followed by a paddle back into a 15 knot wind and increasingly messy conditions. One of those days when everything stayed manageable.

No comments:

Post a Comment