Wednesday, July 17, 2013

If You Don't Want To Do Something .... You Probably Should

After we had been on the road for eight weeks, I wrote about how hard I was finding it to maintain healthy habits (regular weight training and yoga) while travelling. Since then, I have made an effort to train and do yoga somewhat regularly. The change came after working out one evening when we got to camp. It was moderately tough to do as it was dark, I was tired, and I didn't feel like getting sweaty again after I had managed to get a swim in that day (we've had less than 10 showers in the over 11 weeks we have spent on the road so personal hygiene becomes an issue). Nevertheless, I dredged out some old Alpine Centre (Boulder, Colorado) work-outs and went outside and swung the gas tank around, did pull-ups, and push-ups and squatted and swung until I was tired and sweaty. And, I felt better, way, way better.

Since then, I've managed to do some kind of work-out and stretching routine almost everyday, even while we were doing the Carnarvon Great! Walk. Some days are more abbreviated than others due to lack of time (or sore feet while on the Carnarvon Walk), but, I've been pulling, pushing, carrying and swinging pretty regularly since.

There is a lesson in everything. The lesson for me is that the things that are really worth doing are generally not that much fun to do at the time. 

 Rock Ring training

No comments:

Post a Comment