Sunday, October 7, 2018

Of Glens and Cliffs


Walking down Braeside walk to the Barrow Lookout I immediately felt good. There is something about walking through woods that is just good for our psyche. A small stream runs through the valley and after recent rains it was gurgling gently while the bush was alive with spring flowers on the native flora. At Barrow Lookout, I turned north and followed the busy Cliff Top track to Govetts Leap. The area around the car park was busy as usual, but a few minutes along the track in any direction and I was alone again.


My map marks a track called the Jungle Track branching off Williams Track that descends Govetts Leap Brook and I wanted to see if I could find it before continuing on to Pulpit Rock. I walked a fair way down the steep and wet Govetts Leap track until I passed the location where my map and GPS indicated the Jungle track was without finding it. Looking back at this section of cliff later from closer to Pulpit Rock, it is obvious that the Jungle track must leave the maintained Govetts Leap track down near the base of Govetts Leap Falls and not a hundred metres up the valley as shown on the topographic map.


After not finding Jungle track, I walked back up and strolled along to Pulpit Rock. This is an easy but lovely walk following the cliffs around the valley passing over the top of Horseshoe Falls and ending at the spectacular Pulpit Rock lookout. A light misty rain was falling over the Grose Valley which is one of the real treasures of the Blue Mountains.


On the way back, I exited via Popes Glen Track another pretty track that winds up a quiet valley eventually arriving at Blackheath.



No comments:

Post a Comment