Saturday, February 8, 2020

Sunday Runday Every Day Is Runday


I've been exploring the neighbourhood. The Currowan mega fire burnt 90% of our forests and national parks, and even before everything burnt, the forests were closed to prevent new fires. Now there is nothing left to burn, the forests are closed because everything burnt. I get cranky and depressed if I can't get out into nature so I've been exploring from my house, running through little reserves, along creeks, through remnant bits of forest, along cliff tops and beaches, joining up all the little bits of nature into long morning runs.

Little wooden bridges in the woods

This is best done on foot. Whizzing by in a car, or even on a bicycle, is not conducive to ducking into patches of woods, following little footpads used by people and animals, or scrambling over rocks. Each time I go out, I find something new. A little bridge over a side stream, a waterhole freshly filled with rain water, starkly burnt trees against the skyline, or hidden trails flowing through patches of forest.

Gum trees against a stormy sky

Five great things about today:
  • Finding little bridges across streams just where you need them.
  • Surprise trails in the forest.
  • Trees against a dark sky.
  • Rain.
  • Meeting Sunday runners on the trails.
High tide and a big swell

No comments:

Post a Comment