Thursday, December 26, 2013

Swallow A Camel, Choke On A Gnat

Outside Online had this little blurb recently about “Diet Cults” where Matt Fitzgerald, the author of a new, but not yet released book, opined that:
“People who become convinced that a certain way of eating is best for everyone believe they are making a rational choice in pursuit of improved health, whereas they are primarily making an emotional and moralistic choice to join a special group that makes them feel good about themselves.” 

By this logic, I could join the Twinkie eating (substitute Lamington eating for Aussie readers) diet cult and “feel good about myself,” regardless of the fact that I would, in rapid time, become fat, diseased, weak, and eventually succumb to a litany of dietary induced diseases such as metabolic syndrome, diabetes, and heart disease - to list only the most prominent in our society. But, not to worry, because as I lie in my hospital bed awaiting the arrival of a panoply of machines to save me from multi-system organ failure I can feel all righteously sanctimonious and my gravestone will bear the epitaph “I belonged.” 

This dude does not eat Lamingtons

Given that Outside Online has endorsed diets such as gluten free, cholesterol lowering (without any debate about whether lowing cholesterol is a good thing, which has to make you say WTF), paleo, carbohydrate heavy (aka eat less, move more, still not lose fat, although you might lose weight), the DNA diet, the so-called “Abs Diet” (headlined as showcasing real foods and includes bread, packaged tomato sauce, smoothies and advocates eating six times per day - another WTF), yet another ridiculous headline grabbing, substance empty article should probably not come as a surprise.  Nor should it be surprising that each new diet Outside Online recommends is contrary to the one which preceded it. 

In fact, I'm not even sure why I am wasting bandwidth writing about Outside Online's latest appeal to the lowest common denominator diet that encourages people to “swallow a camel and choke on a gnat" all the while feeding their sugar habit.   

 Morning light, South Point, Wilsons Promontory

No comments:

Post a Comment