Saturday, August 13, 2022

Thoroughly Used Up

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a ride!” Hunter S. Thompson.

Hunter S. Thompson, as most will know, died by suicide in 2005 at the age of 67 following many years of chronic health problems and decades of alcohol and drug use. Years ago, after climbing a few routes on Hunter S. Thompson dome in Red Rocks, Nevada, I tried to read Thompson’s “Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.” We were, after all, camped at the BLM site just out of Vegas, but the book was a hard read for me and I never finished it. In true, millennial style, however, I have seen the movie!





This morning, after another paddle training day yesterday (headwind again), I got up feeling “thoroughly used up” and thinking that skidding “broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out is not all it is cracked up to be. A week after being beaten about by my kayak in the surf, I’ve still got a gimpy leg, which is contra-lateral (that’s nice at least) to my gimpy tricep which I incurred during my two week trial of the P:E Diet “train to failure” plan; and, of course, there are my long standing bilateral hamstring issues. I’ve always thought the over-arching goal of all training is “don’t get injured” but with age comes some acceptance that completely avoiding injury when you train and perform year round is actually bloody difficult.

And, link to a great podcast on protein requirements for hypertrophy/strength/ lean muscle mass and training guidelines. 


No comments:

Post a Comment