Tuesday, April 9, 2024

How to Make Hill Sprints Less Painful: The Headlands Track Episode

The title is a bit perjorative implying that hill sprints are painful and no-one really likes doing them. But hill sprints are painful and it’s a rare person who says “Yay for today, I get to go run up hills until I puke and my legs shake. Woot, woot, can’t wait.” Maybe that’s you, and, if it is, more power to you, brother, as we used to say in the ‘80’s.




I haven’t been on the south end of the Headlands track since December 2023, so I hopped the bus down to Malua Bay with the intention of walking back home and using all the hills along the Headlands track for sprint intervals.




The southern start of the Headlands track is McKenzies Beach but the nearest bus stop is Malua Bay. I went south from Malua Bay to Pretty Point where a huge amount of track work has been done: trail clearing and widening, gravel laid down in the boggy areas, steps and stairs, and seats at the lookout.




After a lap around Pretty Point I sprinted back up the hill and slithered down the track to the south end of Malua Bay. This section of track still needs an upgrade. Malua Bay is getting a big face lift with a new picnic area, toilets, kids playground and adult exercise area. Sprinting up the north end of Malua Bay, I found two new lookouts with seats, one right out at Malua Head and one looking south from the top of the hill.




Then it was on to Mosquito Bay where I used the new ladder down to the beach and passed some more steps being installed on the north side! Up and down, up and down, until I was at the last significant hill, the steps up to the hill south of Wimbie Beach. The footings for a new bridge are in and a new track to access the bridge across the lagoon has been established, but no bridge yet. My legs were shaky by the time I got to the top of Wimbie Hill, and, by my count, I had done 15 hill intervals, which seemed like a pretty good number. The track is going to be so fantastic when it is finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment