Sunday, April 7, 2024

The Happiness of Pursuit

“The happiness of pursuit…” Robert Sapolksy


I was two thirds of the way around the Dam Loop on my mountain bike when I realised that the reason the track seemed excessively rocky was because I had my front shocks locked out. The last time I rode the Dam Loop I was with my nephew (30 years my junior); he was on his electric one wheel and I on my mountain bike. Every 10 to 15 minutes he would ask “Are you alright? Do you need water?” I wasn’t aware I looked like death and actually felt pretty good even though I been out in my sea kayak that morning.




My goal on the Dam Loop is almost always the same – ride the whole loop without putting a foot down. I rarely make it, but soak up the “happiness of pursuit” anyway. Bike technology has come so far (I don’t mean E-bikes) that I am amazed what an old lady like me, who rarely rides, can ride once equipped with a drop seat, disc brakes, front and rear shocks. Wouldn’t it be great if we could all rise to the challenge of how technology expands the possible?



No comments:

Post a Comment