Thursday, February 9, 2023

Kayak Surfing

Today’s Hard Thing was so much fun that I feel like a cheat for calling it a hard thing. Pete, Steve, Nick, Doug and I went kayak surfing at the Mossy Point/Tomaga River Bar. Pete had his new surf boat, a very low volume jobbie. Steve has a whitewater boat similar to my whitewater boat, while Doug and I were in our plumb bow kayaks and Nick in his plastic play boat. Once we’d cleared all the surfers off the wave, we had the break to ourselves and caught ride after ride after ride.




Off an on I’ve been trying a C to C roll, although Nick posed the excellent question today “Why?” but, by that point, I thought I’m almost there, I’ll try a few more times. I did have one capsize, not quite sure how, but the Pace 17S can go over pretty quickly sometimes. I ended up pinned onto the back deck with my face in the sand thinking “how can I roll from this position?” and then, more sensibly, I thought, “just get out and stand up.” Sometimes bailing is the simplest action.





Yesterdays Hard Thing was what I call Work Capacity after the Mountain Tactical three hour long workouts I used to do back in Nelson: 1 km row, 100 step ups, 100 pushups, 10 pullups, 100 TRX rows, 100 squats, 100 kettlebell swings, 100 random core exercises and 100 random glute exercises, with some finger training on the hangboard in between.


No comments:

Post a Comment