Thursday, October 24, 2013

A Whirl Of Activity

For a misplaced Canuck, it is strange to get up at 5.30 in the morning and jump on a bicycle clothed only in a light pair of shorts and a tank top and ride for an hour without getting chilled. Forget chilled, in Canada you'd be snap frozen at that time of the morning, winter or summer, on a bicycle.

My hour long ride down to the Esplanade for the 6.30 am yoga class was uneventful except for running into the horizontal bar of a gate that I couldn't see because my glasses were fogged with humidity and the morning sun was shining right in my eyes. Luckily, I had some kind of inkling that something was blocking the track and had slowed down. Otherwise, I think I might have broken both my arms.

After yoga, I bouldered on the outdoor wall (also at the Esplanade), but my trunk muscles (core) were so sore and tired from the long work-out I did yesterday that I didn't feel at my best. Fourty five minutes later, it was time to ride home. I must have been somewhat spaced out - I was starting to feel tired - as I took a couple of wrong turns on the way home, which made the journey a bit longer.

In the early afternoon, we loaded the kayaks and drove to Lake Placid on the Barron River to kayak. Lake Placid is essentially a bulge in the Barron River which carves a deep gorge through the Lamb and Macalister Ranges and runs out to the ocean near Cairns airport. This is a very pretty place with deep rainforest lining the gorge, but Lake Placid is really a bit smaller than we imagined and we had paddled all around it in less than an hour. 

Doug Lake Placid

No comments:

Post a Comment