Sunday, July 18, 2021

Anything Works

Day six and coincidentally the start of a my new six week training phase. If I had another six to add that would be the sign of the devil and surely not a good thing. It is axiomatic that if you are untrained anything works (which is why so many poorly designed exercise science studies show benefit), and if you are trained, anything works until it doesn't. Training, in fact, is full of axiomatic principles, such as the Pareto Principle (20% effort brings 80% of the gains), the body is one piece, and the body adapts.



Right there I have just listed off four self-evident principles that would project you to higher and higher levels of performance if you integrated them all into your training. Which would, of course, mean changing your training on a regular basis. Not so frequent that no gains are recognised, but frequently enough to force the body to continue the process of adaptation.




I am currently at the place where "how I got here won't get me there." I've done the 20% for the 80%, the body has adapted, and it is time to train differently to continue adaptation.




This morning I woke up a bit stiff and sore, the way you do after a hard day out, my fingers, in particular are stiff because yesterday involved a full day out climbing rocks, scrambling around, and hauling a very heavy pack up and down a slippery steep hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment