Tuesday, July 13, 2021

Habits, Tapering and Single Track

NSW is back into Covid lockdown so you think I would have time to write up all the festering blog posts that have been sitting on my to do list for a few months. Well, you'd be wrong. I don't do sitting well, and I can pretty much always find something else to do besides sitting inside composing wordy blogs and sorting through photos to illustrate my adventures.




In lieu of ever catching up, I thought I would, for a month or so, post my daily outings/training/wanderings through the natural world with the idea that a few words is easier to pen than a long form essay, and forming a habit is the key to success.




Thursday is climbing day and, because I am old and weak, which is divergent from when I was young and weak, I taper my climbing training for my "performance" days. So, this morning was my usual core routine, plus TRX I,Y,T, because smarter people than me recommend these for posture, and shoulder health. But no climbing on my home wall or bouldering at my local beach.



Tapering does not mean nothing, however, so I did my interval training, which is important as you get older because while we old folks can hold onto endurance we tend to lose power. I do my interval training on my mountain bike riding the local single track because the trails are alternating steep up and down. I have to work hard to get up the loose steep hills and, as I view having to push the bike as a type of failure, I work way harder than I would if I went out and sprinted hills. Simply put, the bike stalls out if my power is inadequate.




Anyway, I had a fantastic lap around the trails totting up over 500 metres of elevation gain which is not bad in a distance of 19 kilometres given the minimal prominence of our surrounding hills. As I was speeding down the gravel road at the end of my ride I was thinking that given the choice of a SAD (standard Australian diet) of hyperpalatable food or feeling invincible, I choose feeling invincible.


No comments:

Post a Comment